Code Review Starter Kit
Starting to review your code? Want that 10-to-1 payback for finding problems early, while they’re easier to fix, but concerned about the time investment?
Whatever the method, here’s what effective code reviews have in common:
- Everyone knows which code to review
- Reviewers are familiar with requirements and design
- Purpose of review is clear
- Reviewers review all the code by themselves first
- Reviewers record comments in writing
- Code author hears and accepts comments in person
- Code author tracks comments through to fix
- Everyone saves time-stamped records to see how they’re doing
Yes, there’s more to it than that, but don’t start with less.